Subject: Re: FLASH: Best site structure - frames? tables? 1 movie? 10 movies?
From: Russell E. Unger
Date: Thu, 6 May 1999 21:03:29 +0100

Hi Phred...

> First post, I woulda checked the archives first like on Direct-L, but....

errr...or should I say "Howdy!"...

> So my client wants his site redone in FLASH. Yay! I'm newby-issimo
> and I'm trying to figure out the best structure for the site.
>
> Theory:
> There will be title bar (on top)
> Flash navigation (on right)
> Flash content (on left)
>
> 1) Is it best to have one huge swf, and regulate d-loading with
> scenes and wait-for-load type code?

This is one of those "depends on what you're trying to achieve" type of
things. You can do this, and as John Croteau mentioned a few posts or so
ago, you do have the benefits of utilizing Flash's stream-ability...so, it
really does "just depend".

> 2) Or, is it best to have totally descrete nav swf that calls different
> swf-containing html pages into a frame?

This would seem pretty logical; we're doing a VB app that's going to be doing
that from Flash, and it's probably the easiest way of handling this,
especially as a first time Flash project. Hell, that's what "revisions" are
for.

> 3) Or, is it best to have separate nav swf in table cell, and content
> swf(s) in another cell and switch content using inter-movie
> communication (possible, right?)?

This is possible with JavaScript, and I'm the wrong person to advise here as
I've not had the time to sit down and figure it out. There's a good tutorial
or 2 out there on this with sample code, but for clarity's sake, I think I'd
recommend option 2 upfront.

> Or....
>
> I'm leaning towards door number 3 right now, but then, of course,
> I'm a total ignoramus on this subject.
>
> Some guru, please condescend to help this lowly weedhopper.
>
> Humbly, Phred

Look, Warren! We're getting more of you guys over here all the time!

Good luck, Phred!

Russ