Subject: RE: FLASH: Best site structure - frames? tables? 1 movie? 10 movies?
From: Phred White
Date: Thu, 6 May 1999 23:20:13 +0100

Thanks Marc.

>Repeat after me: Don't use scenes.

Don't use scenes. ...I feel better already!

>>2) Or, is it best to have totally descrete nav swf that calls
different
>>swf-containing html pages into a frame?

>This would be needlessly slow. Having a number of movie clips
available or
>.swf's in higher levels will achieve the same thing without the
user
>waiting for the connection to the server to refresh and new content
>download.

What do you mean by "higher levels"?

> >3) Or, is it best to have separate nav swf in table cell, and content
> >swf(s) in another cell and switch content using inter-movie
> >communication (possible, right?)?

>General rule for movie clips versus movies on levels: if there is
a huge
>amount of content and you cannot predict the order in which the
user will
>request it,

Definitely the case. So I don't understand how I could do this with
a single swf.

>movies on levels will help manage the download stream.

Again vit' da "levels"!? : ) So this sounds like "The Way"

>But you
>will need to plan carefully since they cannot share the same symbol
>library, so think about assigning content to movies in a way that
symbols
>won't have to be duplicated.

Hmmmm.

>If all content must be available at the
>outset, you may as well use movie clips.

Well it does, kind of. the client wants the site to be "ultra crisp" (mmm,
good with soy milk!), but I figure that I can amuse them while I stream, but

they need to have ready access. I hope to anticipate they're access order
and
preload accordingly. If they psych me out it's OK if they end up getting a
load
delay, as long as it's short.

I'm familiar with movie clips, and understand that they must load
entirely before they play. Can I preload explicitly, i.e, "preload
thingy-clip"?
Can separate swf's share content (libraries?, external content?)

It's kind of fun being clueless again!

Phred