Subject: RE: FLASH: Best site structure - frames? tables? 1 movie? 10 movies?
From: Marc Hoffman
Date: Fri, 7 May 1999 01:55:10 +0100

At 05:17 PM 5/6/99 -0500, you wrote:

>What do you mean by "higher levels"?

important to differentiate between movies and movie clips. A movie is an
.swf file. It can play by itself or it can be one of several movies played
by one Flash player. If one of several, it is loaded by a Load Movie
command issued by an already-playing movie. When it is loaded you will
assign it a "level." Levels are significant because if two movies are
playing at the same time and have visual content in the same part of the
stage, the movie on the higher level will eclipse the movie on the lower
level. Just like layers within a movie, but don't mix them up please.

>I'm familiar with movie clips, and understand that they must load
>entirely before they play. Can I preload explicitly, i.e, "preload
>thingy-clip"?

A movie clip can be loading even though it has a stop action that prevents
it from playing. BTW, stop actions in clips are best placed a couple of
frames into the clip, so pad things with a couple of empty frames.

>Can separate swf's share content (libraries?, external content?)

Nope.

> It's kind of fun being clueless again!

Clueless can be a very high state of consciousness. Or not. Depends what
you do with it.

Marc Hoffman