Subject: Re: FLASH: Symbols and Netscape help
From: John Croteau
Date: Sat, 8 May 1999 15:37:39 +0100

Hi James,

> I am having problems with the symbols in a movie. It is my
> understanding that if I edit a symbol in the library it will change
> all the instances of that symbol. I have attempted to erase a symbol
> and replace it with something totally different. It will not change
> the instances of that symbol on the stage. Is there something wrong,
> something else I must do, or am I misunderstanding the book?
Don't know what your problem is. Double click on the item you want to
change to make sure and select Definition and Edit to make sure it is
the one you want to change.

> Also, when I export the movie and generate the HTML from
> Aftershock I find that the alternate gif frame that I set gets
> placed at the bottom of the movie when viewing in Netscape, but does
> not appear when I view in IE. Any Ideas?
You have an extra Gif tag below the <NOSCRIPT> tag.
You acn remove it with atext editor or start over on a new page.
Make sure you are using Aftershock 2.

> The structure of my page consists of a menu in levels of tutorials
> that can be viewed individually or if choosing a higher order they
> would play in succession. Is it wise to use scenes or would it be best
> to load a new movie for each one or use goto commands with movie
> clips?
I always suggest against using scenes because ofthe extra bugs and the
limitations you impose that will limit advanced feature addition.
Using Labels and/or Movie Clips can accomplish the same things.

> Okay last item.....What is the general rule for modem testing and
> preloaders? I would like everyone to have a T1 connection (including
> me) but I have been testing in 28.8 hoping that there aren't too many
> 14.4's out there anymore.
> Thanks,
Not many 14.4 K modems around and many of those are not up to playing
Flash well anyway. I usually design for 28,800 try to make sure the only
problem on slower connections is slow loading and/or playing.