Subject: Re: FLASH: Preloading other .swf?
From: Marc Hoffman
Date: Sat, 8 May 1999 21:47:46 +0100

At 03:28 PM 5/8/99 -0600, you wrote:
>Hey everyone...
>
>I am looking at having 2 different .swfs, one which will play while the
>other, bigger movie preloads.
>
>Once the bigger movie is preloaded I would like to play.

The bigger movie should have an If Frame Is Loaded loop at it's start.
During this loop, nothing should be visible in the movie. If Frame...
should specify a frame far enough into the bigger movie that it will stream
smoothly once that much is loaded. The action attached to If Frame Is
Loaded should be:

Tell Target (target: _level0)
Go to and Stop (frame: park)
End Tell Target
Go to and Play (frame: play)

Where "park" is a labeled frame in the first movie (designated by _level0)
where the first movie is blank and has a stop action. "Play" is a labeled
frame in the bigger movie where the action begins, following the preload
loop that checks If Frame Is Loaded.

What this accomplishes: when enough of the bigger movie is loaded, it will
command the preloader to stop in an invisible frame and the bigger movie
will then start playing.

When you have mastered this, there are some more complex schemes that will
allow the preloader to complete a "cycle" or go to a transition sequence
before the bigger movie kicks in. Go to
http://www.dartfrogmedia.com/turfnet to see a preloader that does this.
Notice that however long the preload takes, the ball always finishes by
completing a round of the screen, then rolling into the golf cup.

Marc Hoffman