Subject: Re: FLASH: the smooth and the jerky
From: Marc Hoffman
Date: Sat, 8 May 1999 21:52:40 +0100

At 02:02 PM 5/8/99 -0600, you wrote:

>greetings,
>
>i am new to flash and to the flasher list, but i was wondering what are the
>parameters that affect the jerkiness of an animation and in particular,
>text tweening. is it frames per second? cpu speed? the amount of change
>versus the frame length of the tweening?

It's all the above. Also, the more text you tween, the more important that
you choose a font whose shapes are simple (e.g., arial will tween more
smoothly than Times because it lacks the serifs). Alpha and gradient fills
take a big processor hit. I'm not sure of this, but I would guess
complexity of the background would factor in -- even though it's not
tweening, it still must be redrawn after each frame (can anyone else verify
this?). Remember that what is needed is the illusion of movement --
sometimes the tweens can be simpler than the start and finish images and
the effect will be the same only smoother.

Remember to set quality=high in your HTML codes (object and embed) if you
don't want "the jagglies."

Marc Hoffman