Subject: FLASH: URL Relative References
From: Neil MacLennan
Date: Mon, 10 May 1999 11:52:15 +0100

Hi there,

Having recently checked my server error logs if find that I'm getting
several "File does not exist" errors concerned with URLs coming from .swfs

Is there an absolute rule about how relative URLs are calculated?

For example: take an html file and it's embedded .swfs

/docs/index.html
/docs/media/flash1.swf

If I create a GO TO URL action in flash1.swf of, say "/boats/file1.htm"

when it's clicked on, is this URL created relative to the html file or the
.swf? That is, will the resulting pathname be:

1) /docs/boats/file1.htm
or
2) /docs/media/boats/file1.htm

Because the latter of the two is a similar format to the error in the log
files.

I don't know what browser the person who's created my error-log entries was
using but I'll put money on it that it was MacIE4.5

Anyone got any experience of this or can someone categorically say which of
the two paths I will get each and every time the URL is clicked.

TIA

Neil MacLennan
neilatreality [dot] co [dot] uk