Subject: FLASH: load url or movie better?
From: Jefferis
Date: Mon, 10 May 1999 15:55:28 +0100

I received this critique of my draft site:

>The ship moves too jerkily. It seems that this should be one vector
>graphic that gets enlarged as it moves closer, so there should be many
>more "steps" without impacting file size.
>
>Second, when the ship gets to the foreground and unfurls its sails, it
>should actually be on a new web page at this point. Otherwise, clicking
>the back button takes you back to the beginning of the animation, which
>will drive people absolutely mad.

www.petersonsales.net/flashintro.html

I have a couple of questions:

I have placed a secondary web page menu that is a duplicate of the last
page in the original flash, so that whenever a client hits "back to the
menu' it will not take him or her to the beginning of the flash movie.
I have to make it more compact.

But if I loaded it, as my critic suggests as, wouldn't that create the
same problem? If the client hit the back button on his browser, it would
take him to the flash movie.... I don't have a link from the end of the
movie to the beginning of the flash, so the only way a person will get
this to repeat is if they hit the back button After they make a menu
choice...

So, the question I have is: can or should I load a static html page or
another flash page as the last frame of the movie? If so, is there a
command that won't cause a noticeable blackout between the last frame and
the new page? Is a load url or a load movie a better alternative?

The second issue is the jerkiness of the movie:
I wrote him back
>The problem with the ship is that in order to create billowing sails, a
>single vector graphic doesn't seem to be possible. The sails have to move
>independently from the main body of the ship. The ship is a single movie
>clip. I don't know if there is a solution for this problem. The ship was
>originally imported as a single graphic from freehand, but when trying to
>create the sails moving in the wind, I had to break it apart. I can add
>more steps to the enlarging of the ship, but I don't know if that will
>smooth it. I was going to try that..

Would an increased frame rate or additional number of frames in the tween
make the motion appear smoother ? He is probably viewing on ISDN
connections....

I cannot think of how to reduce the complexity of the flash graphics and
still get the desired effect..

Jeff

Peterson Sales
Web Design and Marketing