Subject: Re: FLASH: Please Test New Flash Ad
From: Wayne Townsend
Date: Mon, 17 May 1999 02:25:20 +0100

Hi Sienna,

I have to agree with all you said. (ISP stuff) I prefer to pay for mine as
well.

But mine is not to reason why. I produce Flash, and Iyam what Iyam.

I think several others have tried it and failed but these guys might have a
shot because they're financed by a big cell phone Co. They have the
marketing bucks to throw at it.

<sigh> it's a TV generation audience now, so I guess the times will change.

If there is any point I like about it, it is that unlike banners, these
don't waste your time downloading when you go to a page.

>Ah ha! told you! Do YOU want someone knowing when your pecking away at
>your keyboard or when you leave your puter to go to the can?

:) Naa it's one way. But who knows. MS might get in on it, and what
then! ;)

>ACK! This is not something I wanted to hear. I am an ISP and the thought
>of these types of companies makes me wonder what all their customers have
>to put up with.

Maybe this is something that an ISP can buy into. I'll ask. Who cares
where the income comes from (users or sponsors) as long as it comes in.

>Geocities because of all the ads that popup.

Yeah, Geo is obnoxious though. Coming up when you don't want it to.
Forces it on you. These come up at idle.

>>BTW, any fast producers who might be available for Flash Ad creation
>>contracting after the launch in Aug. should drop me a note. You can work
>>remotely. Note: This is a very well financed startup by a very large,
>>international corp. So, no bs.

>Do you work for the same company as the guy with the Modeling Gig by chance?
>Just kidding.. only my 2 cents worth and dry humor.

:) I had to use all my restraint from chiming in on that thread too. But
I knew DG and the others would do a good job on them.

No, these guys are a real company and have a clue. You look at a
producer's work, and based on if you like it, hire them or not. End of
story. Holding a "contest"!? Get real.

>Not bad for one night. It looks great.

I'm calling these "Day Ads". Ads you should be able to produce in a day.
That's the basic. Of course many ads will be much more elaborate and take
much longer. All depends on what the sponsor wants.

Games are a definate possibility as well, for sponsors that already have
massive name recognition and don't need to direct sell.

On the "very cool" front, I pointed out to them how Flash is unique in the
web ad world in that these productions "Run" like a TV ad as opposed to
being static. This allows them to market the production costs in terms
that the sponsors understand. ie. "A 15 second spot"=X$, "A 30-sec.
spot"=Y$, "A 60 sec spot"=Z$, etc. At least it gives them a starting
point. That hit a nerve.

Thx for the review Sienna, and of course all the others too!

/wayne

Only 8 months left until the year 2000.
Is your website Flash-3 Compliant yet?

Wayne Townsend