Subject: FLASH: RE: 'The new Star Wars better have a good plot...'
From: Joe Shoults
Date: Wed, 19 May 1999 16:25:41 +0100

I saw it last night. I'll try to give my impressions without spoiling
anything:
The plot is there. Not as strong or engaging as Episodes 4-6 because it is
primarily doing a lot of "setting up" for Episodes 2 & 3, but I think that
most people will understand and accept this fact. I think the current
criticisms will fade somewhat in retrospect once Eps 2&3 come out. It only
relied a little upon your previous knowledge of the Star Wars mythos; I
think the uninitiated will enjoy it just as much. You Joseph Campbell fans
out there looking for the same types of hero-myth cycle elements may have to
wait for the other episodes, I think. But there was one plot element
setting you up (anakin's conception).
Be prepared for some comedy relief elements that cater to the under-12
demographic (the Jar Jar Binks character and the race announcer(s) were
silly, IMO).
GREAT visuals, lots of good light saber play.
Perhaps the strongest criticisms I have is that there were a couple of parts
that felt too edited, like they were cut out for the sake of movie length or
something- or underdeveloped. It wasn't disjointed, necessarily, but seemed
maybe a bit skimmed-over in parts (maybe it was just the script and
directing). Example: I thought Darth Maul could have been developed more.
I'm sure we will see plenty more of the Sith in Ep.2&3, but I felt this
character would have been able to play a bigger role in the overall plot (I
expected as much, given that his face is all over the place!). In fact, now
that I am thinking about it, the difference between this and the other
movies, and perhaps the source of some of the criticism, I think, is that
there was not the clear definition of primary hero or primary villain (like
Luke/Darth). In fact, the best-developed character was Jar-Jar, whom I
wanted to see least. That makes it hard for many viewers (critics?) to
swallow, as we are bred on this formula.
Also, a sorta-scientific explanation was given about the nature of The
Force, which took a little away from its mystic appeal, IMHO.
Ewan McGregor does a great impression of a young Alec Guiness' voice.
If you're wondering whether it's OK for young kids: to the degree that you
think it is OK for a kid to see someone sliced in 1/2 with a light saber (no
blood), it is OK for young kids. I will take my 4-year-old, who is into
Star Wars (he loves that part on the trailer where Obi-Wan "pushes" the
droids down with the Force).
The theater where I saw it was one of those new ones with stadium-style
seating. I sat about halfway up, slightly to the left, and the sound was
awesome! (Dolby digital) The theater warned us that the sound was going to
be turned up extra loud, which was fine by me.
All in all, it was great- an 8/10. It could have been an hour longer as far
as I was concerned. I left the theater wanting more, not because I felt
that the movie fell short, but because I live in an immediate-gratification
world. I can't wait 'til Ep.2!!! I will go back again at least once or
twice (and sit closer next time).

-joe