Subject: Re: FLASH: About Flash in Sweden and perception
From: Nigel Randsley-Pena
Date: Wed, 19 May 1999 01:29:14 +0100

David,

Some comments, if I may.

'Content _should_ be king.'

If we are talking about a sie that wishes to convey information yes,
quite true.

'The bottom line is...it (Flash) still cannot stand up to 3D animation
and high-end ... CD-rom or video special effects. It doesnt matter what
you produce, it cannot compare to video...'

Don't follow you here, Flash is a 2D creation tool, forget 3D. If it's a
2D tool use 2D specific animation tricks. But don't try to compare it
with 3D animation tools. Video ??? We are talking about web tools are we
not ?

'I haven't seen a flash site yet, including my own, that was worth the
DL'

Can't agree again. I think your site is well worth the DL. I would never
visit it for content's sake, but enjoyed it to the full because of it's
very rich content. It tells a lot about it's creator.

'...simply because, for what its worth, it doesn't come close to what
we're used to in the "Video" world...'

Dave, Dave, blas� doesn't become you.

'The new Star Wars better have a good plot...'
I don't think even the best of plots would make it worth viewing, so I
guess I agree with you on this one.

'the wrong and inexperience use of it(Flash) could sabotage it's name.
My biggest pet peeve is designers that design using Flash for the simple
sake of using it.'

Again I would have to agree. But the same argument applies at other
levels, replace Flash with HTML and you're still correct.

'I cant begin to name how many flash sites ... only to sift through
links with absolutely no content except ...'

Welcome to the world of media. Take a magazine or a newspaper or a TV
programme cut out all the ads and the irrelevant information, that is
remove the noise, what are you left with ?

'Designing function around form is not the way to produce ergonomically
friendly flash web sites. I always design form around function. If the
function does not require flash, why in the world would you use it?'

Yes indeed. But 'ad captandum vulgus' does work like that.

'I only wait for semi large Flash sites to load ...Over 400k, I won't
wait.'

Pity isn't it. I also wonder why a simple concept like streaming is so
hard to understand. The worst thing Flash has is that 'if frame is
loaded' thinggy. It allows sloppy Flash creation. I compare it to goto
in a programming language. If you use it something is wrong. Is that so
hard to understand ?

'Ive seen Stock brokers on the net using flash. huh?'

OK, you like your stock brokers dressed in grey suits and they should't
smile. Not everyone is of the same opinion. You're off target on this
one. I would recomend a Flash/Generator created site for a stock broker.
Realtime online personalised content for your clients, with full
graphics and all ? Can't you just imagine the stock broker salivating ?

'Flash, IMHO, should be used for dynamic internet presentations for
products,
services, and entertainment purposes(i.e. games, etc.) nothing else.
Flash(at
the moment) was not intended to contain large databases.'

Sorry but this I can only say is total BS. Flash can handle large
databases, today, right now. David ! You slipped again !

'Right now Flash is the only answer to animated, interactive interface
design
for web delivery.'
Yes, so it is, but I don't believe you can't see that it's not only for
that.
Flash is very good for delivering content.

Nigel