Subject: Re: FLASH: Flash3 vs Dir7 render engines?
From: John Dowdell
Date: Wed, 19 May 1999 01:29:45 +0100

At 8:14 PM 5/18/99, David Gary wrote:
> How does Dir7's render engine compare to Flash3's when processing
> vector animation's?

Director uses the Flash Asset Xtra to play SWFs. This is the Flash Player,
packaged up as an Xtra.

Performance is a bit better than what you'd see in a browser, but
comparable... the only real difference is what else is happening on that
computer at that time.

(Sidenote: Director 7 also has a #vectorShape castmember. This is a single
curve which can be deeply controlled by Lingo. Although this is not a SWF
file, it also uses the Flash rendering engine for realtime vector
rendering.) (Exposed properties includes the curve's vertices, its Bezier
handles, thickness, color, gradient fill and offset... it's easy to animate
a shape based on realtime data or user action.)

> Ive always noticed with Dir6, that the animation's seems smoother
> for sequenced BMPs, but of course Dir6 doesnt support vector.
> How about sequenced BMPs? what the faster renderer?(Dir vs. Flash3)

Director displays prerendered pixels very, very quickly. (The default frame
rate is 30fps, for instance.)

jd