Subject: RE: FLASH: About Flash in Sweden and perception
From: Phred White
Date: Wed, 19 May 1999 17:05:26 +0100

I agree totally with content being king, but "content" <>"text". The phrase
"One picture is worth a thousand words" comes to mind in this context.
Imagery is a critical part of content, but the increase in communication
value has to be commensurate with the increase "cost" of downloading it.

Info seekers don't want to wade through non-nutritive eye candy. David said
anything over 400K and he won't wait. I won't wait for anything over
70K-90K, except if my GOAL is to see eye candy. On the other hand, if I'm
just surfing and a site is very plain, and I don't have a specific interest
in THAT content, I also pass it by.

The WONDERFUL thing about Flash is that you can have a beautiful interface
with NO waiting. This is achieved with a combo of Flash's inherent
efficiency and intelligent design (staged preloading, streaming etc.)

I went to the site listed by the initiator of this thread, and I thought the
preload took too long. The site was nice once you were in, but I wouldn't
wait for the preload if I was just cruising by. If Swedes are really
download-conscious, I think the poster should re-think the structure of her
flash design a bit.

I'd be interested to hear other opinions on the following; I don't believe
in loading messages for marketing-based sites. Period. When I see a Loading
message I think, "Oh, now I'm wasting time so they can sell me something.
Bye." Rather, the preload segment should have some riveting, but slim
content so I DON'T KNOW I'M WAITING. In fact, I'm NOT waiting because there
is info to absorb while the download occurs.

On sites you HAVE to view, e.g. training sites etc. and where the content is
huge, it's best to avoid "loading" msgs., but it's better than a "dead"
window when there is a big chunk to dload.

Phred

"Content _should_ be king. "