Subject: Re: FLASH: ALCAZAR vs/meets GaBoCorP
From: John Brzys
Date: Thu, 27 May 1999 21:53:54 +0100

> TO ALL the CRIT-BALLS:
I havn't heard this one yet Is this a Teenager thing?

> ALL PUBLICITY IS GOOD EVEN BAD PUBLICITY
not true

>"lil peeps"
another teenager thing?

>out there that are actually *NEW* to flash
we are all new to flash it has been around for a couple years now
> and sit there ripping off sites that they can not even build themselves.

> ISSUE ONE (GABO vs ALCAZAR):
> ----------------------------
> The web is filled with various HTML sites that:
>
> ...have a layout with the links to the left of the page.
For good reason - the only absolute point that is consistent from machine to
machine, from browser to browser and from page to page is the upper left
hand corner. so it makes sense to put your navigation as close to that point
as possible

> ...these links are usually MouseOver Java Scripts using 2 images doing a
> basic flip from one to the other on MouseOver...
yes - strictly decorative no functionality at all

> ...then all these HTML sites also have similar GIF89a graphics on them and
> the end-user has to "scroll" ... cause the lamer designer waz to lazy to
> design an anti-scroll site.
text and font size will determine the size of the window, depending on the
user's preferences

> ...most of these HTML sites use similar if not exactly the same java,
visual
> basic and asp coding.
Sites that use WYSIWYG JavaScript generators might share similar code for
the rollover effects
and detect scripts that you are talking about but that is part of the tool.

> IN CONCLUSION - we might say that they all use a similar "CONCEPT" - not
so?
not so, General Motors and Chrysler both build the same thing, a concept of
a motor, wheels,
steering wheel, seats, glass that gets you from one place to another. you
know - a car.
but if General Motors was to come out and market the new "Stalker" - A retro
design that
looked remarkably similar to the "Prowler" and called it their own, there
would be some serious
lawsuits.

> Should we make the same judgement there like 'ol KIRSTEN, RUSS and jb? and
> say that all the sites on the web with these similarities are blatant
> "COPIES" of the other like GABO and ALCAZAR (which I might add have mere
> "CONCEPT" similarity and are only x2 sites) -
What do clients say when you show your site? do they say "I see you and
gabocorp share
the same concept when it comes to web design" or do they say "Hey, you stole
that thing
from that gabo dude I read about in some book" - i think the second quote

> We are in FLASH ppl! Catch a wake up and maybe load both those sites next
> one-another and COMPARE them like someone that HAS GOD GIVIN EYES AND EARS
> TO SPOT THE DIFFERENCE!!
One to One -- gabo's revolver animation was much smoother than the
alcaseltzer.com

.> ISSUE TWO (LOADING TIME OF ALCAZAR):
> I have spent the last year with "ONLY" the END-UseR in mind
your end user target market is other 15 year old boys like yourself.
what a way to go through puberty.

> FEEL FREE TO LOOK FOR A BACK BUTTON HUN... THERE ARE NONE!
there is a big back button in the menu of the browser - most users use this

> I joined this list to offer help - as I consider myself a valuable source
of
> Flash3 info and also cause I work on this application EVERY day of my life
> now,,,,
most of use use flash3 everyday also, amoung other apps like Visual C++,
Visual J++, Interdev etc.

> I also thought that we are all here to draw valuable info from each other
> and help each other ...
I learned so much from you by being called a moron for not hanging around
waiting for 600k download.

> I thought we are here to show one-another our work ... as professionals.
you are correct

> I found instead ppl that break down and discriminate - although some of
them
> do not even have a site to show!!!
I have a site to show but not to the public, and I consider this list the
public, - any how
the projector I'm building is strickly for CD and I wouldn't even ask this
group to
download a file that size. buy the way, it is being used to market a multi
million dollar client/server
solution for the auto companies worldwide. and you know something? they love
it.

>And even those that are available for
> viewing, I consider "AMATURE" and "NEWBY" like...
> ONLY the DAVID GREY - "FULL THROTTLE" site has captured my attention so
far
> on this ENTIRE LIST!!
another 'borrowed' concept, but that is between David Gary and Lenny Kravitz

> IT IS THE SAME 'OL SH!T: "THE HIGH TREES GET THE WIND... :) "
No trees here is detroit, just big buildings, cars, and lots of money to be
made.