Subject: Re: FLASH: frame actions and movie clip
From: Marc Hoffman, Poison Dart Frog Media
Date: Fri, 28 May 1999 23:28:09 +0100

At 05:52 PM 5/28/99 -0400, you wrote:
>is there a way using the (frame)actions within the frame properties to tell a
>movie clip that I have placed in a single frame to play once and then have
>another movie clip play in the next frame.

I am assuming you have the first movie clip (MC) in a frame on the main
timeline and there's a stop action there, too. Then in the next frame
you've placed the second MC, replacing the first MC in the same layer. All
you need, then, is a frame action in the last frame of the first MC that says:

TellTarget (target: /)
Play
End TellTarget

This will make the main timeline (targeted as "/") advance to the next
frame, where the first MC no longer exists and the second MC does exist.

If the MC's exist simultaneously, they will each need a stop action in the
first frame, which should be empty of graphics, and they'll each need an
instance name, which is applied on stage using Instance Properties. Then
you'll use TellTarget to make each MC play in turn, putting those
TellTarget actions in the last frame of the prior MC or perhaps in a button
on the main stage.

Probably more than you needed to know :-)

Marc Hoffman

marcatdartfrogmedia [dot] com (mailto:marcatdartfrogmedia [dot] com)
Flash3 Portfolio: <http://www.dartfrogmedia.com/sampler>, featured
in Flash 3 Web Animation, by Ken Milburn.