Subject: Re: FLASH: Flash making QuickTime--why so little support anddevelopment?
From: Bryan Rieger
Date: Wed, 3 May 2000 11:27:16 +0100

on 5/3/00 12:08 AM, Damian Morton at mortonatdennisinter [dot] com wrote:

> Did you ever get a chance to look at Apple's SK8? A nice tool, and pretty
> much self-hosting too!

I've heard of it - never actually got my hands dirty in it.

> That should be the first level requirement for any new media dev tool,
> Self-hosting: The development tool should be written in itself. You should
> be able to create work like a sculptor - by taking bits away until only the
> essentials are left. You should also be able to customise the dev tool to
> the extent that other interfaces arent necessary, like the interface of
> Mozilla being created in Mozilla itself, only moreso, with vectors and video
> sprites and 3d objects and database integration and, and, and, and.....

Yes, yes...yes. The idea of being able to build a tool using the tool.
I think alot of companies have been thinking that way, it's just very
difficult to implement right through. At some point something has to be
written with C++. I think the closest to this was version 2 of mTrop - where
tools could be made in mTrop to extend the app, and you could get a little
deeper using MOM.

I know Director, iShell, LiveStage Pro and almost every other app tries to
provide some support here, but it's usually a high-level, abstract kludge.

Self-hosting...what a concept!
Any eager programmers out there ready to bang something out over the
weekend? ;-)

Cheers,

Bryan

flasher is generously supported by...