Subject: RE: FLASH: Flash making QuickTime--why so little support and development?
From: Damian Morton
Date: Wed, 3 May 2000 16:18:44 +0100

> From: Bryan Rieger
>
> I know Director, iShell, LiveStage Pro and almost every other app tries to
> provide some support here, but it's usually a high-level, abstract kludge.
>
> Self-hosting...what a concept!
> Any eager programmers out there ready to bang something out over the
> weekend? ;-)
>
> Cheers,
>
> Bryan

Heh - over the weekend huh? I think theres a long weekend coming up soon :)

Actually, I dont think any of Director, iShell, LiveStage etc really try to
do what Im talking about. Each of them presents a development environment
which is patently not the same as the delivery environment, and the
development environments arent able to be customised enough. Visual Basic is
probably the closest thing to what I am talking about, but it has no
multimedia ambitions.

Im conceiving of a development environment so maleable that I can customise
it to the extent that I can deliver to my clients an extended, simplified
and refined version of the development environment that I use.

Over and over again, I find clients that dont want multimedia delivered and
have that be the end of the story. Many clients want to be able to change
and re-arrange the multimedia they are delivered, and they want to be able
to do it themselves. Frankly, I do too, because the changes are usually
minor and it can be a huge undertaking to open up an old project to find and
change some piddling detail.

Anyway, C++ isnt the language for this kind of thing. It doesnt have enough
introspection capabilities. Im not sure what language is best, probably lisp
or one of its ilk.

Anyway, enough blue-sky dreaming for now. Back to the grind....

flasher is generously supported by...