Subject: Re: FLASH: how to make mac projector with windows
From: Brad Bechtel
Date: Thu, 4 May 2000 04:43:35 +0100

At 07:00 AM 5/3/00 -0700, you wrote:
>Sheesh, that wasn't very helpful. I can hire a company to burn the
>CD's on a mac for a mac. I have been trying, without success, to
>simply find out what kind of file I need to convert the hqx file into
>so it will work as a projector on a mac. There is a web site that
>will convert the files. Or, I guess I could tell all of these people
>with macs who want to buy this CD to go get a real computer.

Unfortunately due to the structure of Macintosh files, you will not be able to create a hybrid Mac/Windows CD on a Windows machine.

Macintosh files contain a resource fork and a data fork, where Windows and Unix files have a data fork only. The resource fork for a Mac file contains the Type/Creator information necessary for the Macintosh to be able to recognize and use the file correctly. In the case of a projector created on the PC, a binhexed version of the file containing the appropriate Type/Creator information is created.

When unpacked on a Mac, the Type is set to APPL and the Creator is set to FP98. If you unpack the same file on a PC using any decompression utility which supports binhexed files, you'll end up with the data fork only.

You may also find (depending on the structure of your file) that you may need to increase the memory allocation of the Projector file once it's been created. This can only be done on a Macintosh.

Brad
Flash QA

flasher is generously supported by...