Subject: Re: FLASH: licensing question
From: John Dowdell
Date: Fri, 5 May 2000 00:56:16 +0100

At 5:06 AM 5/4/0, Gregg Caines wrote:
>I've checked the Macromedia site for this, and
>emailed Macromedia directly...

I'm not sure who you may have mailed within the Macromedia domain, but if
it was me, then apologies in advance, but as my sig advises, that off-list
mail sent to me privately falls into a large "other" category that can't
always get a personal and private reply.

>Can anyone tell me what the rules are for
>distributing this program? Can I charge my
>customers for it? Can I distribute it freely with
>my other software on a CD? Are there any
>stipulations (must show the logo, etc.)? Would
>I owe Macromedia any money in any way?

If this is "How can I learn about licensing the Flash Player installers?"
then here's the source:
http://www.macromedia.com/support/shockwave/info/licensing/

>I emailed them, but my only response was a URL
>on the MM site that I had already seen

I'm not sure if you're referring to the above URL. I would not be able to
quote you legal terms myself, and so would defer to the actual licensing
process. It contains details on requirements for such redistribution.

You *must* have an approved license to redistribute the Flash Player, and
so someone couldn't give you "a straight answer" on a mailing list that
would suffice... you would indeed need to go through the licensing process
described on the page I cited.

jd

flasher is generously supported by...