Subject: Re: FLASH: licensing question
From: Gregg Caines
Date: Fri, 5 May 2000 14:35:54 +0100

Thanks...that's the info I was looking at
earlier. I guess I'll have to explain why I
was confused. (BTW it wasn't you that I
e-mailed before...it was someone from a
link in the licensing section of the MM site.)

My problem is that the licensing info keeps
talking about 'the player', but I don't know
what that means. The only thing to be
distributed is the swflash.ocx, but even it
isn't being distributed as is...it's imbedded
in the EXE. Does that constitute 'the player'?
I don't have any need or desire to
redistribute the entire player installer. Is
there licensing for just the ActiveX control?

Also, it seems to be cost free, but I need the
'Flash enabled' graphic? I've seen that Swish
has this graphic, yet other products don't
seem to (like jugglor). I am certain they are
all programs using the OCX by itself like mine,
and not requiring the installer in any way.

Can you shed some light on this? Thanks
again...the help is much appreciated.

Gregg Caines
n e o m e t r i x systems inc.
http://www.neometrixsystems.com
gcainesatneometrixsystems [dot] com

> At 5:06 AM 5/4/0, Gregg Caines wrote:
> >I've checked the Macromedia site for this, and
> >emailed Macromedia directly...
>
> I'm not sure who you may have mailed within the Macromedia domain, but if
> it was me, then apologies in advance, but as my sig advises, that off-list
> mail sent to me privately falls into a large "other" category that can't
> always get a personal and private reply.
>

> >Can anyone tell me what the rules are for
> >distributing this program? Can I charge my
> >customers for it? Can I distribute it freely with
> >my other software on a CD? Are there any
> >stipulations (must show the logo, etc.)? Would
> >I owe Macromedia any money in any way?
>
> If this is "How can I learn about licensing the Flash Player installers?"
> then here's the source:
> http://www.macromedia.com/support/shockwave/info/licensing/
>

> >I emailed them, but my only response was a URL
> >on the MM site that I had already seen
>
> I'm not sure if you're referring to the above URL. I would not be able to
> quote you legal terms myself, and so would defer to the actual licensing
> process. It contains details on requirements for such redistribution.
>
> You *must* have an approved license to redistribute the Flash Player, and
> so someone couldn't give you "a straight answer" on a mailing list that
> would suffice... you would indeed need to go through the licensing process
> described on the page I cited.
>
> jd

flasher is generously supported by...