Subject: Re: FLASH: Interesting site to check out ******
From: Brian
Date: Wed, 10 May 2000 21:07:32 +0100

> Hmmm interesting thought.
> "If they're going to speak to me in English, they'd better do it
> correctly..."

Yep... there ARE correct ways to spell words in English.

> A teacher is most likely the weak link here. Not the designer him or
> herself. When we learn German, Spanish or anything else, we learn this
> really crappy, half-ass version of the real language. If one plans to
become
> fluent in any language, one MUST live in that specific country for a while
> and they will realize that what they were taught is garbage. The teachers
> themselves are from that nationality.....not from an English speaking
> background.
>
> I feel the site was excellent !!

Almost excellent... those darn spelling errors! (snapping fingers)

>If I did a site in Russian, I'm sure I'd
> get the same thrashing for my grammatical mistakes from every Russian
> designer out there.

As well you should, posing yourself as someone with any right to communicate
with anyone in a language not your own.
And I said nothing about grammar - I spoke of spelling.
One crusade at a time.
I thoroughly expect to be told when I have spelling mistakes on anything I
produce in an official capacity.
And I have.

> (For all of the European designers....my opinion is based on the fact that
> am American and my wife is a Russian, German, French, Spanish, Chinese
> linguist.)
> Just like everything else. You must surround yourself with a subject and
> experience it in order to master it.....and not everyone wants to live
here.
> ;-)
>
> ON THE FLIP SIDE: There are text editors that employ Spell Check.

Thank you.

-Brian Matthews

flasher is generously supported by...