Subject: Re: FLASH: Keeboo - More?s
From: Nathan Dicken
Date: Tue, 23 May 2000 14:30:05 +0100

Hi Jeff,

The demo that is viewable on the web is definitely done in Flash. I only
had time to check out most of the "gather" part of the demo - you can tell
it's Flash by right-clicking on the overall movie. If it's Flash you'll
get a Zoom In/Zoom Out... menu, otherwise if it's Shockwave for Director it
will have a menu that includes Restart, etc...

I work in Director quite a bit and each program would have it's pros and
cons... For example, in Director, you could hide the cursor or hide it
from a specific area of the screen as the demo plays. Director also is
made to handle bitmap images and you wouldn't have to compress them so much
as in Flash to keep the file size down.
You can also create delays and pause/start/stop features much easier with
Lingo than with Flash (even though Flash isn't too difficult also). The
percentage of users that have the Shockwave-Director plug in is less than
the Flash so that would be a concern based on the audience. Overall, Flash
would handle the animation well and so would Director, but I would probably
choose Director for this type of demo with screen captures, bitmaps and all
- primarily based on the nature of the project that this is. There are
utilities out there that allow you to do screen motion captures but this is
not possible solely with Director's capabilities. Another good point with
Director is that you could have Flash elements and import them into
Director and control them from within Director. Director can't export to
Flash though. Hope this helps...

Nathan Dicken

>If it was created in Director, could it not be exported to Flash.swf?
>Then would you be able to tell from the source in the html?
>
>I was asked to bid on something similar to the demo, and I figured to do
>all that in Flash would take more than 3 weeks including drawing all
>items. There are no shortcuts in Flash to create that screen tutorial
>type motion... but I was wondering if there is something like screen
>motion capture features in Director or some other program that would
>speed the production.

>>> Click View the DEMO at
>>> http://www.keeboo.com./ENU/index.html
>>>

>--
>Jefferis Kent Peterson
>www.PetersonSales.net

flasher is generously supported by...
World Animation Celebration - Big Internet Animation Pow Wow Discount Offer

Register before May 25 mention flasher and save 25%!! www.wacfest.com

Be discovered, get a job or have your web series picked up. A big talent search for Shockwave
and Flash animators is happening May 30-June 4 in Hollywood. Featuring Rob Burgess, Matt
Groening, Brad Bird and more. www.wacfest.com