Subject: Re: FLASH: General role of Flash in webdesign...
From: Brian Mays
Date: Tue, 23 May 2000 16:32:47 +0100

Thorvald Neumann wrote:

> I am currently trying to figure out how important the general role of
> Flash is for webdesign issues.
>
> So, what are your opinions? How important is the presence of Flash in US
> webdesign?

We take it on a client-by-client basis. I had one client who wanted a Flash site for his
products, but he wanted users to get in to the site, see where his products are sold at, then get
up and go buy them. So I talked him out of Flash...it would only impede the results he wanted
from his visitors. I could have built a wonderfully fun Flash site for him, but it wouldn't have
served his purpose. It's all about what the clients need.

We recently had an inhouse project for a summer kids site at the newspaper I work for. We used
Flash to do buttons that had sound play when you interact with them. Of course, we did a Flash
detection so users without Flash will never see the flashed pages. But the users who have Flash
won't know they're viewing a Flashed site...the integration is subtle, and that's the direction I
see Flash going in more. At least from my standpoint.

Brian Mays

flasher is generously supported by...
World Animation Celebration - Big Internet Animation Pow Wow Discount Offer

Register before May 25 mention flasher and save 25%!! www.wacfest.com

Be discovered, get a job or have your web series picked up. A big talent search for Shockwave
and Flash animators is happening May 30-June 4 in Hollywood. Featuring Rob Burgess, Matt
Groening, Brad Bird and more. www.wacfest.com