Subject: Re: FLASH: using popup-menus
From: Nathan Dicken
Date: Thu, 25 May 2000 13:33:11 +0100

Samiech,

I checked out your nav system and was able to replicate the problem that
you were mentioning. A couple of suggestions that hopefully might help if
you're not using them already...

- When rolling over one menu, run a script that forces all other menus to
close.

- Place a button hit state behind the menu area (slightly larger than the
menu) that rides along with the menu as it opens and closes. The only
function that this would serve is to close the menu when the mouse rolls
over it. You could then take any rollout actions off of the main menu
button or keep them on - just test it out to see what works... Since your
main menu that opens/closes is a button state itself, the button behind it
wouldn't be activated until the mouse rolls out of the perimeter of that
menu area.

There are different ways that you can fix a problem like this - it's just a
matter of testing a method or two and seeing what works for you.

Hope that helps...
Nathan Dicken

>Hello,
>I have been working on a website that is using a popup navigation menu but I
>have a problem with that. When you move your mouse over the menu-item the
>window is coming up(mouse-over) and when you remove your mouse the window is
>going down (mouse-out). Now the problem is with the mouse-out, when I remove
>the cursor to fast the window stays up. Does somebody have a solution for
>this problem? If you don't exactly know what I mean please go to
>http://www.powerlaunch.com and try the menu-items at the bottom of the
>screen.
>
>Thanks for all the help!
>Samiech

flasher is generously supported by...
World Animation Celebration - Big Internet Animation Pow Wow Discount Offer

Register before May 25 mention flasher and save 25%!! www.wacfest.com

Be discovered, get a job or have your web series picked up. A big talent search for Shockwave
and Flash animators is happening May 30-June 4 in Hollywood. Featuring Rob Burgess, Matt
Groening, Brad Bird and more. www.wacfest.com