Subject: Re: FLASH: sound on/off
From: Marc Hoffman, Poison Dart Frog Media
Date: Tue, 30 May 2000 05:18:52 +0100

At 05:28 AM 5/28/2000 , you wrote:
>Hi,
>
>What's the best way to make an on/off button, in a flash movie?
>I discovered the 'stop all sounds' action, but how to turn it on again?
>
>greets,
>Ruben Fontijn

To toggle the background loop on and off, see
http://www.dartfrogmedia.com/toggle. This will turn the looping background
sound on and off without affecting other sounds.

To deal with all sounds in the movie, you probably don't want them all
turned on again at once. You could create a 2-frame movie clip. Let's give
it the instance name "music clip master." In the second frame is nothing
but a stop action. In the first frame is a nested movie clip that contains
all the sounds in your movie. Let's give it the instance name "music clip."
Its first frame is blank except for a stop action. Each of the following
frames contains: 1) a different sound, with sync set to "start;" 2) a stop
action; 3) a unique label. There should also be a blank frame at the start
of the nested movie clip. To play a sound, use tell target to make "music
clip" go to the associated frame where the desired sound is located. To
disable all sounds, tellTarget "music clip master" to go to its second
frame -- this will make all the TellTargets to "music clip" fail, since
"music clip" will no longer be current in the path.

Some time I'll write up a tutorial on this since it's a common request. It
could also be done using Action Script to control the tellTargets.

Marc Hoffman

Poison Dart Frog Media
Flash portfolio: http://www.dartfrogmedia.com/portfolio

flasher is generously supported by...
World Animation Celebration - Big Internet Animation Pow Wow Discount Offer

Register before May 25 mention flasher and save 25%!! www.wacfest.com

Be discovered, get a job or have your web series picked up. A big talent search for Shockwave
and Flash animators is happening May 30-June 4 in Hollywood. Featuring Rob Burgess, Matt
Groening, Brad Bird and more. www.wacfest.com