Subject: Re: FLASH: flasheratshocker [dot] com
From: John Croteau
Date: Sun, 1 Nov 1998 15:21:27 GMT

Hi Eric,

> I normally dont do this...but Iam desperate...Its like my questions are
> gettin ignored? Did I do something wrong? If so Iam sorry.
> Even if its just "we have no idea Eric".
> That is better than no response at all....
We don't encourage people to post to the List if they don't have an
answer to questions posted. If everyone who didn't know the answer to
questions posted to the List Emailed us to tell us 'I'm sorry I don't
know' we would be bombarded with useless information. If you need
mission critical help you should consider contacting me or MM directly.
But you are likely to have to pay for this service.

> I'am developing animation in flash 3 for a client to
> use on software that he is having created. The problem is I need a button that
> when it is pressed to that will close the flash file and let the user return
> to the main software screen.
If you don't get an answer to a question it is best to pose your
question in a different way. For instance if you said I am embedding a
Flash ActiveX control for use with another program and I need to close
Flash from a button, a possible answer would immediately sping to my
mind. You can probably use the special FSCommand for projectors Quit in
a FSCommand action in your Button.

> My other problem is that the animation slows some
> at certain points because more than 1-2 events is happening at the same time.
It is very important to optimize your graphics when a single element is
moving across a large portion of the screen or you have several items
animating at the same time.. The larger the size of screen where mthe
motion the more proicessing the computer will have to do. From your
because Flash couldn't create complex graphics. Simplier is general
better when animating in Flash.

Use the Report and the Bandwidth profiler so you can concentrate your
optimizing on the objects that are slowing you down. There are many ways
to optimize files to make them smaller or faster. Many of them are
discussed in Tech Notes:
http://www.FlashCentral.com/Tech/Index.htm#Optimizing

> My question is should I use director instead of flash to create this animation?
> Will this make the slowing decrease?
It depends on the animation but Director only works with Flash 2
features so far.
If you have used Movie Clips, Load Movie, Shape Tweening or any of the
other new Flash 3 features then they would have to be removed to make
your animation work in Director. A Flash 3 plugin/ActiveX control should
be available for Director soon but how soon is not known yet.

Need a PC ? -- Computer King --
http://www.crownmall.com/computers/