Subject: FLASH: Slow display after loading is complete?
From: David Counts
Date: Mon, 02 Nov 1998 22:51:59 +0000 (GMT)

Two questions:

1) I placed "If frame is loaded/go to" tags in the first frame of
several linked flash pages so that the viewer doesn't have to see the
page load if it is cached. It didn't work, so I placed the same
instruction in the second and third frames and have found that that does
work (most of the time). It's not very satisfying because I get the
first frame or two and then jump to the desired frame. Is this because
I have other actions in different layers of the first frame?

2) I'm working on a site incorporating Flash for our company, Copithorne
& Bellows. It has been working very well on my machine and most others
in the office, but now advances very slowly on some other machines, most
importantly David Copithorne's docking station( IBM 770, Pentium 166MHz,
64M RAM). None of the swf files are larger than 70k and we have a T1.
I have set the frame rate to 24 FPS.

I think the thing that troubles me most is that the loading message
displays _Done_ long before the file reaches completion and it never
speeds up, which suggests to me that the issue is not one of bandwidth,
processor speed or file size, especially since it runs as slowly even
from cache.

Tinkering with the display settings on individual machines seems to have
improved performance a bit, and I suppose folks with shockwave are going
to have a pretty good configuration, but I wonder if I'm missing
something.

Thanks,

Dave