Subject: Re: FLASH: Slow display after loading is complete?
From: Marc Hoffman
Date: Tue, 03 Nov 1998 00:46:24 +0000 (GMT)

At 05:48 PM 11/2/98 -0500, you wrote:
>Two questions:
>
>1) I placed "If frame is loaded/go to" tags in the first frame of
>several linked flash pages so that the viewer doesn't have to see the
>page load if it is cached. It didn't work, so I placed the same
>instruction in the second and third frames and have found that that does
>work (most of the time). It's not very satisfying because I get the
>first frame or two and then jump to the desired frame. Is this because
>I have other actions in different layers of the first frame?

Entirely possible. Limit your first frame to checking frame load status.

>2) I'm working on a site incorporating Flash for our company, Copithorne
>& Bellows. It has been working very well on my machine and most others
>in the office, but now advances very slowly on some other machines, most
>importantly David Copithorne's docking station( IBM 770, Pentium 166MHz,
>64M RAM). None of the swf files are larger than 70k and we have a T1.
>I have set the frame rate to 24 FPS.

Dave,

Download speed is a factor of file size and bandwidth (connection speed).

On the other hand, display speed is a factor of processor speed and how
fast pixels are changing. If very little is changing, 24 FPS should be no
problem. But in general that's too many frames per second for most
animations on most machines. As others on this list have said, think of FPS
as the speed limit (the fastest your movie will ever play), not necessarily
the rate at which a given machine is capable of playing.

Flash has (under View) a bandwidth profiler. Use it in conjunction with
Test Movie. Although its primary design is to display how fast your movie
loads at a predesignated connection speed (most of us test for 28 baud), it
works equally well to show you where your movie is getting bottlenecked by
too much happening at once. Try lowering your frame rate to 7-12 FPS,
avoid tweening bitmaps if possible, pare down the sounds, limit the stage
area in which graphics are changing, optimize your shapes, use symbols,
limit alpha tweening. These and other optimization techniques are a large
part of mastering Flash.

Marc Hoffman

View my Flash3 work: <http://www.jps.net/dartfrog/sampler>.
Play a virtual marimba: <http://www.jps.net/dartfrog>.
Find out where my band performs: <http://www.jps.net/dartfrog/littlebird>.
Complain about self-promoting email signatures:
<marchofatjps [dot] net (subject: complaint) (mailto:marchofatjps [dot] net?subject=complaint)>