From: Unger, Russell
Date: Wed, 04 Nov 1998 18:54:18 +0000 (GMT)

Bill...

We just went through this on the Direct-L list, and the consensus was pretty
much that some people, perhaps like yourself, and this is in NO WAY a flame,
get a bit frustrated at some of the basic functionality questions. This, I
think, is going to be pretty much unavoidable.

We may all speak the same language (some on here don't at all), but we
certainly interpret it differently. I am certain I've posted more than one
frantic little post requesting assistance b/c I'm unsure of an approach to a
problem...but that doesn't mean I'm not reading the manuals; it means that I
don't have the foggiest idea as to how to interpret what a manual writer
described. I have to write user's guides constantly and I assure you that I
get all kinds of questions, as do most others regarding such.

Fact of the matter is, one of the easiest ways to learn a tool like Flash is
to do it "Trial by Fire" method. Teach a man to fish...

I've personally learned more simply from reading the posts, even the ones
that could have been answered by following the manual, than I have from
going through the manual personally. A lot of people enjoy sharing their
knowledge and are more than happy to help each other.

I, of course, could be seriously wrong in this department, however, I think
that there are a lot of people getting a lot from this list, and probably a
lot more lurkers who are waiting until they feel they have enough "list
maturity" to find the right way to post their question(s).

Just my opinion.

Russell E. Unger

Modern Business Technology
1300 E. Woodfield Road, Suite 302