Subject: Re: FLASH: flash: to mime or not to mime
From: John Croteau
Date: Mon, 09 Nov 1998 21:48:33 +0000 (GMT)

Hi Dave,

> I remember I used to skirt MIME probems with MIDI in Netscape by including
> a TYPE=audio/midi parameter in the embed statement. Can this be used by
> Flash developers to reduce dependence on MIME being set on servers?
In a word NO. Unless you don't care about visitors to your site (or they
all have MSIE 3/4 Win 95/98/NT) then you must be on a server where the
MIME is set for Flash.

If the MIME is not set on the server and
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" is not in the EMBED then no Flash
content is supplied and you normally get the no-plugin icon usually the
Puzzle piece. in other words no one gets Flash.

If the MIME is not set on the server and
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" is in the EMBED then content is
served using the default file type as set on the server. Results are
unpredictable and there are several symptoms including proper Flash
playback, no Flash display, crashing browsers and among others. See:
http://www.FlashCentral.com/Tech/Server/index.htm

Common defaults file types for servers are application/octet-steam,
text/html and text/plain.

Note, Midi usually plays Ok when TYPE=audio/midi is used and the default
file server format is application/octet-steam but often fails if it is
some version of text is the default server format.

Need a PC ? -- Computer King --
http://www.crownmall.com/computers/