Subject: FLASH: Movie clip design
From: Len Harrison
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 1998 16:41:33 +0000 (GMT)

No one's mentioned this to my knowledge so I thought I'd put it out there as
a possible guiding principle. I've found in working with movie clips you
want to scale dynamically within a presentation, that it works best to make
them large and scale them down along their timeline rather than make them
smaller and then try to increase their size dynamically. This gets more and
more true the more layers of nested clips you have. When you make them
larger, everything not only gets bigger but the spaces between do too, and
things seem to get out of hand and go off-screen very quickly. Smaller is
better.

Does anyone else find this true or is this a personal, one-way, perceptual
lapse?

Also, does anyone have a good solution for dealing effectively with
positioning clips that scale or move around a lot? I find myself dropping
the little cross-hair/circle things in approximate positions and then
fine-tuning them through several iterations of test movie. I've considered
creating a dummy symbol for positioning purposes by cutting and pasting the
clip's extreme positions or sizes, but haven't implemented it. Wasn't sure
it would be worth the time to do that. Thoughts?

len harrison
instructional designer
lenhatabtcorp [dot] com