Subject: RE: FLASH: Newbie (I hate that word) Question
From: Len Harrison
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 1998 16:33:39 +0000 (GMT)

Hi David,

I gotta disagree with you (and I make my living developing training courses
for software applications). People have different learning styles. In spite
of my occupation, I personally hate to sit in a classroom and have only
slightly more patience for online tutorials and the like. In both situations
I find myself tracking in different directions from the material as it is
presented. My general sense of things is usually "I know that. It's obvious.
But how do I do this?".

What works for me is having a real world problem that needs to be solved
with the particular tool involved. That's how I learned to program Basic,
Pascal, C, dBase, SQL, Javascript, Perl, and every other programming
language I know. It's how I learned to use Photoshop, Corel, and Flash, as
well as HTML and dhtml. I like a manual, printed if possible, online if
that's all that's available. I like it to be very comprehensive, terse, and
well-indexed. Just the facts, nothing more or less. Unix man pages are my
personal documentation ideal. I tend to supplement that with online stuff
like this list, examples I can rip apart where available, and tips'n'tricks
Web pages. That's my learning style.

Fortunately it isn't everyone's or I'd be out of a career. So, if you find
classroom training useful, I'm happy. It keeps people like me in business.
But it's a big jump from there to saying everyone should learn this way. And
it just isn't so.

len harrison
instructional designer
lenhatabtcorp [dot] com

[deletia]
> If access to lessons are available in your area, spend the money
> and learn the
> fundamentals.
> It will save you major time.
>
> My associate producer and I are going to Miami next month to take
> a 5 day crash
> course ...
[deletia]