Subject: Re: FLASH: Newbie (I hate that word) Question
From: David Gary
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 1998 18:51:29 +0000 (GMT)

Greg Neat [Sales & Marketing] wrote:

> DG, Glenn,
>
> Trial and error works for me...It seems
> a much more creative route. I taught myself Photoshop, Freehand,
> Illustrator etc. and worked in those programs for at least 3 years before
> any formal training and I am as strong as those around me who trained from
> the start. In the aspect of knowing what tools to use for a new task I am
> the most adept at finding quick solutions. I also am more inventive in my
> methods and feel less inhibited in my work than others. Any method of
> learning is good. I think it's all about what method most engages you. I am
> teaching myself flash now and it is a time consuming process but I know that
> when I am ready to put my pages out there they will be strong.

Hiya Guys,

Well having "self taught" myself on 90% of the media Ive learned, I can say,

I think the bottom line here is more of a time issue than a "creative" avenue.
"Self" learning a graphics program doesnt make you any more creative than the
program will itself. Its a tool and if you dont hammer the nail in the roof
right, then your
gona have leakes that could have been avoided. Its a A to B thing. Not a
creative thing.

I believe learning the fundamentals is the first step to becoming "strong" in
any media.
Without the 1,2,3, your in for a hard road. Someone that has already taken that
road can
help you avoid the potholes.

Manuals and tutorials make it easier, but hands on, one on one, is the best and
most efficient way to learn, unless you have ESP.<g>

Again, I think you might be getting "creativity" and "tool to create" mixed up.
Creativity comes from the imagination. The "tool" is how you express your
imagination. "Self teaching" being a "better" way to learn is a falacy and
egotistical. You must have a good foundation to create from. I found from
teaching myself from trail and error that when I finally mastered the proggy,
the next, best thing was already out. I would much rather be creating than
learning how to create. Accessing the information on how to use the tool should
be quick.

Self teaching doesnt support that.

>"I am teaching myself flash now and it is a time consuming process but I know
that
>when I am ready to put my pages out there they will be strong."

Promoting self teaching over fundamental learning wont make anyone's work
"stronger",
just outdated. =8>)-

-DG-