Subject: Re: FLASH: loadmovie question and FS command?
From: Marc Hoffman
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 1998 21:26:41 +0000 (GMT)

At 12:44 PM 11/13/98 -0800, you wrote:
>How do I create an action that will allow me to script
>a button so that it will load another flash movie in, but also go to a
>particular point in that movie.

Problem is, you can't TellTarget a frame that has not yet loaded. Have the
new movie stay in an invisible loop as it's loading, and have it check
itself (using If Frame is Loaded) to keep track of when it's loaded up to
the frame you need. At that point, the second half of the If Frame is
Loaded command should be to tell the first movie (the one that loaded the
new movie) to issue another command to make the new movie go to the correct
frame. You do this by having a movie clip in the first movie that is sent
by the second movie to a frame where the action is embedded to command the
second movie to go wherever you want it to.

You could, of course, just have the new movie load invisibly until the
correct frame is loaded, and then have it make itself jump to that frame,
but that means it would always behave that way no matter how it was called
to load. So using this more convoluted scheme is a way of having the new
movie "know" where it's being called from and where it should go. What
you'll need to watch out for is that if the second movie is ever loaded by
some other means, the first movie is parked in some way so it won't receive
the "okay, I'm loaded up now" command from the second movie and start
controlling the second movie.

I know this may sound like gobbledy-gook; I have a client about to show up,
so I can explain further if you need me to -- just let me know. (Sometime
I'll put this into a tutorial; your issue is a common one and the answer is
not readily apparent).

>Also, I want to create a button that goes to another web site, but also
>loads that web site in another URL. I've heard it can be done with the
>FS command, but I can't figure it out and the book isn't any help. So
>once again I am at the mercy of the list.

I take it you want to open a new URL in a new browser window. This is done
with Get URL (a button or frame action). you need to specify the window as
"blank" or "new." For a more elaborate method that controls the properties
of the new window, see Colin Moock's tutorial at
http://colinmoock.iceinc.com/webdesign/flash/

Marc Hoffman

View my Flash3 work: <http://www.jps.net/dartfrog/sampler>.
Play a virtual marimba: <http://www.jps.net/dartfrog>.
Find out where my band performs: <http://www.jps.net/dartfrog/littlebird>.
Complain about self-promoting email signatures:
<marchofatjps [dot] net (subject: complaint) (mailto:marchofatjps [dot] net?subject=complaint)>