Subject: Re: FLASH: New Flash Game
From: John Croteau
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 1998 21:11:53 +0000 (GMT)

Hi Branden,

> Thanks for the input ya'll, I just got the @*#&$^ thing to work with all
> 4.0+ browsers.
> For ya'll who don't know the game I wrote worked fine in IE4, and N4.5,
> but would not work in N4.0-N4.07. Since it is an oddball javascript bug
> that other people may run into I'll explain:
> Apparently in N4.0-N4.07 the passed in argument of a FS command is
> rigidly set to being a string, and nothing that I have found will
> convert it to a number, not the Number function, not the usual x=x-0,
> not using a second variable (i.e. blah=arg), not even converting the
> second variable using either Number or the x=x-0 method, nothing.
FSCommand sends a string to the Flash plugin or ActiveX control. Just
because some browsers parse a numeric string in some cases does not mean
you shouldn't explicitly convert the the variable type to numeric.

A good way to convert a String to a number in JavaScript is with:
parseInt(String)
or
parseFloat(String)

Number doesn't work if the String includes any non-numeric even a
non-leading space.

Note, some browsers interpret JavaScript values looser than others.

Need a PC ? -- Computer King --
http://www.crownmall.com/computers/