Subject: RE: FLASH: screen size
From: Len Harrison
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 1998 05:56:46 +0000 (GMT)

Hi Ben,

Since Flash is a vector format, it will rescale to any size you like. I tend
to use 100%x100% which will make your movie fill the browser window through
resizing. There's a problem with this, however, which is either *extremely*
significant or no-big-deal depending on your content and intention. Since
most of what I do is instructional, it's not a really big deal for me, but
it might be for you.

When you allow the movie to scale this way, the aspect ratio can be changed
by the user to something very different from your original intention.
Circles and squares become ovals and rectangles, for example. If you don't
want this to happen, you have three options:

1) Open a new browser window for your movie in the aspect (and size) you
want. If you wish to design for the lowest common denominator that would be
something less than 640x480 (on Windows you have the start bar at the bottom
which is about 50 pixels, for example). Although some don't like this
approach, it's one I prefer and use frequently even when I'm not working in
Flash. I tend to want my stuff to take over the environment while the user
is working with it and don't like to design around the many different
toolbar layouts. Also I don't do stuff that uses scrollbars and I do do
screenshots. With that combination you really do need to know what size
canvas you have to work with and that's client area, not window area. If you
really want to get tricky, do a screen resolution detection in the browser
before you open the window and then you can scale your movie to the user's
display. I've done this quite successfully with CSS and HTML using
document.write to select which stylesheet to use on the fly. That's a bit of
work, but worth it. In Flash it would be a piece of cake. Note that with
this approach, you still size your movie to be 100%x100%.

2) Specify a specific size for your movie that is small enough to accomodate
your lowest target audience and, optionally, put it in a centered table
since Flash doesn't seem to center horizontally effectively (or is that
something I missed? I don't use this option much).

3) Specify a specific size for your movie and put it inside a floating frame
that is centered in the user's browser. This tends to be my second choice
when doing anything involving Web. Basically you define 5 frames, one above,
one below, one two the left, and one to the right of your content frame.
Specify absolute dimensions for your content frame and set the rest of them
to "*". Result is a frame that floats center screen and more or less
centered top and bottom, depending on how small the user makes the window.

It's important to remember that your movie will scale to any size you want.
So you can easily design at one size and then shrink it down or expand it
out with no loss. The one exception to this is if you use bitmaps inside
your movie. They'll still be bitmaps unless you trace them and will exhibit
all the usual effects of resizing.

hth,

len harrison
instructional designer