Subject: RE: FLASH: rough movie part III.
From: Len Harrison
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 1998 06:25:25 +0000 (GMT)

Hi Alice,

I can't think of any way to do this without using your host scripting
language (i.e. Javascript here, probably). Using script you have two options
within a browser:

1) Open your flash movie in the main frame of a *, 100% frameset with your
script sitting in the * frame. Target your links to open in the main frame
also. This allows you to maintain a persistent global, curFrame say, in the
* frame which you stash your save frame in. When your flash movie loads it
triggers a script to check the value of this global. If that value is
non-zero, the script goes to curFrame. When you reach the link page, you
call a script to set curFrame. It gets a bit more complicated with clips,
but still works, just use arrays and an if frame is loaded loop if your
Flash is really large.

2) Use the same technique but set and read a cookie with an appropriate
persistence (probably session in this case). This is the technique we use to
set bookmarks in lengthy Flash instructional material. The first approach is
probably preferable in your case, however, because the main value of a
cookie is intersession persistence.

hth,

len harrison
instructional designer