Subject: Re: FLASH: Re: Director 7 is released
From: David Gary
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 1998 12:25:06 +0000 (GMT)

David Mendels wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Shockwave files created with Director do stream. In the early days, they
> did not. Streaming has been improved in D7, and a number of pre-coded
> behaviours to improve streaming come with Director 7. This combined with
> many many features that will make Shockwave files smaller such as vector
> support, selective JPEG compression, rotation and quad animation (instead
> of having to send multiple cast members for each position of a rotating
> sprite) should mean that you do not have such an experience of having to
> wait with well authored Shockwave movies now.
>
> -David
> Macromedia

Hiya Dave,

Thanks for the info. Since you been so kind as to clue us in, could you please

add your input on my "Flash vs. Dir for CD-rom development" post?

Im really more interested in knowing why a .mov or avi. format will play so
much smoother on a lower end processor and why Flash3 player chokes the
processor
when playing the imported images in swf format? Why such a drastic decrease
in
Flash's performance?

Thanks,

-DG-