Subject: RE: FLASH: launching a .exe
From: Rey, Chrissy
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 1998 18:09:40 +0000 (GMT)

>is there anyway to launch an .exe from a .swf (within ie4 on pc) or a flash projector without >bringing up the dialog box or any prompts?
>thanks in advance/

You can call an executable from the stand-alone projector, using the FSCommand "Exec" The only thing is you need to know the path of the executable you want to open (unless it can be run directly - like "notepad" or "netscape"). Also, I don't believe you can actually do this from within the browser (IE4), but only the stand-alone. A nice way to get around knowing the path is also to write a BAT file to open a particular file that uses the executable (one that you could include in the same directory as your projector). So long as there is a default viewer for that file type, it should open with that file :-)

Check out http://www.erols.com/artemisian/cd/bat.html for more BAT info (no, still don't have the whole site up yet!!)

Chrissy Rey
Web Developer
United States Trustee Program