Subject: FLASH: Optimizing loading of large movies
From: Chris Wiggins
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 1998 16:46:14 +0000 (GMT)

I'm working on an intranet which uses flash & generator quite a bit.

My question:

The home page recently became rather large (the swt is approx 180k) when
the client
decided to add a slideshow of 8-10 bitmaps. The home page is very simple,
really.
If it didn't have the slideshow and if it wasn't a generator template it
would be
around 30k. The slideshow is designed to stream (which it does, nicely,
even over
a 28.8) and the navigation loads very quickly which is just what I want.

The problem is that although the navigation loads very quickly even on a
28.8 connection, it isn't actually "hot" or active until the movie
finishes loading.

Now, this problem isn't terribly serious to me on this project because
it's an intranet which almost nobody will be using with anything other
than a T1. However I'd like to know if there is anything I can do to
force the navigation to be functional as soon as it's loaded & visible on
screen.

The site can be viewed (for a short time) at: http://209.141.236.66/

Keep in mind that it is designed to be used exclusively on IE4 on PCs
with 800x600 res & 16 bit color (I love intranets! Where else can you
find out what EVERY user will be using?)

Any ideas about my puzzle are welcome, as are any general comments about
the look or flash/shockwave functionality of the site.

Chris Wiggins, Art Director

Braincraft Learning Technologies
chrisatbraincraft [dot] com