Subject: Re: FLASH: Optimizing loading of large movies
From: Marc Hoffman
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 1998 21:01:28 +0000 (GMT)

At 11:43 AM 11/18/98 -0500, you wrote:
>The problem is that although the navigation loads very quickly even on a
>28.8 connection, it isn't actually "hot" or active until the movie
>finishes loading.
>The site can be viewed (for a short time) at: http://209.141.236.66/

Hi Chris,
Actually, I did get it to be active while loading. If your buttons target
later frames, they won't work until those frames have loaded. The solution
is to load those frames sooner, use If Frame is Loaded to stall things til
they're loaded, or substitute a graphic version of the buttons til stuff is
loaded (so the user isn't seeing a button that looks hot but is
non-functional). Really, I didn't think the lag time was a problem. If it
were a whole lot longer, I might have been inclined to leave the site,
thinking you had a broken navigation scheme. But it was way too quick for
that, and I don't consider myself to be particularly patient with such stuff.

Marc Hoffman

View my Flash3 work: <http://www.jps.net/dartfrog/sampler>.
Play a virtual marimba: <http://www.jps.net/dartfrog>.
Find out where my band performs: <http://www.jps.net/dartfrog/littlebird>.
Complain about self-promoting email signatures:
<marchofatjps [dot] net (subject: complaint) (mailto:marchofatjps [dot] net?subject=complaint)>