Subject: Re: FLASH: Animated Cartoon
From: John Croteau
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 1998 22:13:51 +0000 (GMT)

Hi Leigh,

> Hi Guys! I have an animated cartoon entitled "Thanksgiving Dinner" at
> http://www.mousetrak.com/nikolai/nikpast.htm
> which loads great on Netscape and IE4, but has problems on IE3.
> I set the script to detect if the user had the plug-in and download
> Shockwave Flash if they did not, but the older version of IE3 throws up a
> security warning and shuts down the process.
First it doesn't work great in Netscape.
I see you corrected the bad HTML code that prevented Netscape Flash but
the MIME is still not set for Flash so many people will not see your
site.
See http://www.FlashCentral.com/Tech/Server/index.htm
I would have responded earlier but your site crashed my Netscape
browser.

There are three problems you could have with IE3/IE4 Win 95/98/NT.
First if the browser does not have the Authenticode 2.0 Update then
security must be set to none to install a plugin (some IE3 and Beta
IE4).
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/security/?/ie/security/authent2.htm

Second if the security is set to High instead of Normal or None then the
plugin cannot be installed until the Security is lowered. (IE3 and IE4).

Third if using Aftershock you may have to manually modify the HTML code.
http://www.FlashCentral.com/Tech/Detect/Aftershock.htm

Need a PC ? -- Computer King --
http://www.crownmall.com/computers/