Subject: Re: FLASH: Optimizing loading of large movies
From: Chris Wiggins
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 1998 23:25:30 +0000 (GMT)

>There is no reason for the buttons not to be functional before the
>bitmap portion is loaded. Just make sure the bitmaps are on later frames
>than the buttons.

Hmm. The bitmaps definitely are on later frames. My guess is that it has
something to do with the fact that the second level of navigation (what
you get when you click a primary button) is actualy a loaded movie
(generator
template, actually) which contains only the new elements. Is there some
reason
to think that a movie can't succesfully load into a new level if the main
timeline movie hasn't fully loaded?

>Also 30K seems high for the content. I'm guessing the bitmap tile
>backgound is not tiled in Flash and this may be the cause.

My goof. Actually that 30k figure was for a version which had a
three-bitmap
slideshow. The pre-bitmap homepage was 18k I believe. The background is
tiled in flash, actually. I'm only loading a two-square
bitmap which tiles.

>The use of 4 fonts does contribute to the size also. It's nice when you
>don't have to worry about download size too much.

The plurality of fonts is mainly a result of generator. There are
two fonts in the original design (Waldbaum & Avenir) but apparently
certain fonts
are incompatibile with Generator. So we introduced some that worked and
ate the
extra download size since we didn't want to go to all-generator friendly
fonts. Just
used the generator-frindly fonts for the bits that were generated.

Thanks for taking the time to look.

Chris Wiggins, Art Director

Braincraft Learning Technologies
chrisatbraincraft [dot] com