Subject: Re: FLASH: Optimizing loading of large movies
From: John Croteau
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 1998 23:44:52 +0000 (GMT)

Hi Chris,

> >There is no reason for the buttons not to be functional before the
> >bitmap portion is loaded. Just make sure the bitmaps are on later frames
> >than the buttons.
> Hmm. The bitmaps definitely are on later frames. My guess is that it has
> something to do with the fact that the second level of navigation (what
> you get when you click a primary button) is actualy a loaded movie
> (generator
> template, actually) which contains only the new elements. Is there some
> reason
> to think that a movie can't succesfully load into a new level if the main
> timeline movie hasn't fully loaded?
When you are loading more than one HTML element at the same time over
the Web you can not be assured which element will load first. So when
you are loading movies into different levels you can get varying loading
conditions affecting which swf (or swt) file is loading and with what
priority. This explains why the availability of the buttons vary.
Controlling this can be quite complicated. In Flash you can do 'If Frame
is Loaded' checks and cross level Tell Targets to control loading and
unloaded performance and order.

Need a PC ? -- Computer King --
http://www.crownmall.com/computers/