Subject: Re: FLASH: rough movie part III.
From: John Croteau
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 1998 23:44:55 +0000 (GMT)

Hi Len,

> Is this really reliable/repeatable? Seems like the extremes of very
> slow or fast connections or computers and very small or large flash
> movies would cause this to fail.
> Since the movie is unloaded when we leave the page,
The movie is unloaded from the Flash Environment not browser cache. It
could be deleted if you have a very small cache or visit a lot of pages
before revisiting the Flash page.

> you're relying on the difference in speed between a local read from the
> cache and getting the file off the net.
The speed of the connection makes no difference in whether an If Frame
is Loaded check is made. It checks at one point in time whether or not
the frame to be checked is loaded or not.

> But when I worked at PacBell
> and had a direct hook into a t3, I often found that the net was faster
> than my local hard drive.
This is atypical, very few Web surfers have that fast of a connection to
the Web. The reason for that slower performance could be a slow hard
drive. I know also that the plugin in Netscape checks the server before
control does the same thing or not. This rechecking of the hard drive is
why I and others Park movies instead of unloading and reloading the .swf
files when using Load Movie.

> Also, I have been unable to find any evidence of cached .swf's
> when using the ActiveX control under IE 4 and 5.
Generally, all my files using IE4 are cached either in RAM memory or
hard disk cache. I assume the same for IE5, though I haven't checked it.
I check cache often while analyzing Web problems so it is likely I would
notice if files were not cached.

> Or am I missing something?
Apparently.

Need a PC ? -- Computer King --