Subject: RE: FLASH: Source for sound effects?
From: Rey, Chrissy
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 1998 17:34:29 +0000 (GMT)

>Does anyone have a source for where good sound effects are available for
>mouseovers, etc.? In some of the example sites we've heard some real
>goodies (Eye 4U, gabocorp) as well as background music loops that are
>pleasant enough to listen to without becoming irritated.

If you don't mind spending a few dollars, Network Music (http://www.networkmusic.com) has a few CDs with all sorts of sounds on them, ranging from simple effects to complex tracks (many of which have preset loops points available when you export). I've got the Presentation Audio collection, which is 5 themed CDs ($24.95 each), and they've become invaluable for my recent projects. They have Real Audio demos of their CDs at their site, so you can even check them out before you decide. :-) I have also short loop from one of those CDs on my upcoming help site (http://www.flashlite.net).

If you're looking for something a little less expensive (even free!), there are many sound effect collections out there on the net, but you really need to be careful with them. Some (actually, most of the ones I've come across) don't guarantee that their collection is royalty free, or even free use. If you use sound clips that you don't have rights to, you could run into some legal tangles (of course I have to make this warning - look at who I work for!!). My advice would be to stick with the stuff that you *know* is legal.

Chrissy Rey
Web Developer
United States Trustee Program
United States Department of Justice