Subject: Re: FLASH: Re: flasher-digest V1 #562
From: Marc Hoffman
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 1998 19:47:09 +0000 (GMT)

At 08:33 AM 11/25/98 -0800, you wrote:
>To all:
>
>I'm curious to hear what the average file size of a flash presentation
>(website) is. I'm scared that I'm only half way through the design the site
>and I'm already at 200kb. What gives?
>Arlen Nielsen - Multimedia Designer

I agree with what Jim Curry said about this. More specifically, you can
try to estimate how long people are spending at your site (for example, is
there text to read, or animations to watch, or interactions to be involved
with). Multiply bandwidth (at 28k modem speed, if you're designing for
typical users) times the amount of time they'll be visiting, and you'll
have a rough idea how much content you can stream without undue
bottlenecks. There's also a factor of whether navigation is linear and
predicatable, or whether you need lots of stuff loaded and ready for the
user's whim. Use your bandwidth profiler (in Test Movie) to identify
bottlenecks and to streamline stuff. Create diversions or re-order content
so the user is always entertained/enlightened while content is streaming.
Use available time to load movie clips or higher-level movies in the
background (i.e., once loaded have them start in an empty, parked frame
until called to play). 200k is a modest file size for Flash, but it all
depends on how it streams and how much substance is conveyed in that time.

Marc Hoffman

View my Flash3 work: <http://www.jps.net/dartfrog/sampler>.
Play a virtual marimba: <http://www.jps.net/dartfrog>.
Find out where my band performs: <http://www.jps.net/dartfrog/littlebird>.
Complain about self-promoting email signatures:
<marchofatjps [dot] net (subject: complaint) (mailto:marchofatjps [dot] net?subject=complaint)>