Subject: RE: FLASH: Sound editors?
From: Len Harrison
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 1998 20:23:49 +0000 (GMT)

If we don't limit the discussion to shareware, I'd recommend the following:
Steinberg's WaveLab for sound editing (uses VST and DirectX filters and
effects)full 32 bit application, very fast, seems more stable than cooledit,
and overall more "professional" feeling.

Steinberg's Cubase VST for multi-channel mixing, particularly if you want
midi too
Some people seem to have problems with VST's midi timebase. If so, or if you
don't like
Steinberg's look and feel, you might consider Cakewalk. I don't have any
experience with Cakewalk but it is highly recommended by many.

Sonique Foundry's SFAcid for building loops from .wavs and matching tempos.
I would *not* recommend Making Waves for this functionality, stick with
Acid.

CoolEdit Pro for multitrack wav mixing if you don't like VST or Cakewalk
The "brainwave" effect in CoolEdit is rather swift, whether or not the
psychological effect is real. It's almost worth it for that and a couple of
other minor goodies lurking around the edges of the program.

Many people swear by SoundForge also, and it is certainly worth
investigating. Again, I haven't worked with it enough to say anything.

len harrison
instructional designer
lenhatabtcorp [dot] com