Subject: FLASH: mousetracking tutorial difficulty
From: Catherine Kunicki
Date: Mon, 1 Nov 1999 15:27:39 GMT

Hi.

I'm trying various tutorials to get a feel for the 'actions' and whats
possible using actions in Flash 4.

On this tutorial -
http://www.enetserve.com/tutorials/mousetracktutorial.html

I've had a little trouble. No problems whatsoever with the programming
concepts - I think my main problem is in the Flash interface itself and a
few naming conventions. If I follow the tutorial, I can get the "mouthman"
to follow the mouse, but I cannot - even diligently following the
instructions - get the visibility of the birds to change on mouse
intersection. It has to be code - if I copy the symbol which contains the
code from the tutorial example .fla and replace the symbol in my work copy,
my work file works fine. I've done this tutorial from the top two or three
times now, and I am getting something along the lines of this error when I
test the movie - "over 200000 loops perfomed, this must be an infinite loop.
all further actions cancelled"

So it seems to me there must be something wrong with my loop statement (loop
while (n<=3). Are we case sensitive? I am wracking my brain here.

I think I need to find a tutorial on using "trace" : )

any help or hints appreciated!

Catherine Kunicki

ps- by the way, the html file which is compressed for download and incluced
along with the tutorial .fla is different than the one online. THere were
errors in returns in the lines of the example code as displayed in IE4 on a
mac, which caused me no end of trouble until I caught on. The online version
seems ok.

flasher is generously supported by...