Subject: Re: FLASH: hello from new member; prob importing files
From: James Poulakos
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 1999 22:11:37 GMT

But, I *can* drop a QT into Flash, so long as I export it as a Quicktime movie
[since the Flash layers can be played in the Quicktime player]. I preset my
export settings to skip the Flash movie and HTML, and just export a Quicktime
movie. As I understand it, the Quicktime source movie still has to be there,
and the Flashed Quicktime movie just keeps a reference to the source.

Anyway, it works for me--playback, that is. If I drop a QT movie into Flash [or
use the Import command from the menu] a *second time*, Flash claims to be
unable to recognize the file type. Happens with JPGs too. I think I've narrowed
it down to a problem with certain types of JPG, because I just found one that I
can drop in, and one that I can't--it only worked the first time, and never
again during this editing session.

BTW, this relates to recent response on 'Bitmap Fadein - Fadeout', because I
discovered I can't animate [or change] the alpha property of a symbol with a QT
movie in it. I wanted a small video 'window' to enlarge as well as fade in.

So I tried settling for a JPG of the movie's first frame--I should have been
able to place that in a symbol and animate its alpha setting. I found that, on
my main work PC, this did not work until I changed the bitmap's compression
settings. With a different JPG, I find no trouble following Marc Hoffman's
suggestions, and the Alpha fade works.

Thanks, Bob and Marc.